Two Killed, Houses Set Ablaze As Gunmen Attack Benue Communities

R

Richard Ogunsile

Just In: Gunmen Assassinate Governor Aiyedatiwa's Campaign Coordinator

A recent assault by gunmen in the Ikpelle community in the Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State reportedly resulted in the death of two residents.​

Reports obtained by Naija News revealed that numerous homes were set on fire during attacks which happened between Thursday and Friday.

Daily Trust quoted sources to have disclosed that the attacks occurred in the Ikpelle and Egwuma communities in the rural riverine area of Agatu.

According to the locals, those displaced by the attack are primarily farmers and fishermen from the communities.

Joseph Adakole, a local resident, voiced his concern that if security forces do not take immediate action, their entire villages may face obliteration.

The Chairman of Agatu, Melvin Ejeh, expressed sadness over the attack during a conversation with journalists in Makurdi, saying, “I have just been sadly informed of an attack on Egwuma community of Ogwule Ogbaulu Ward which led to the burning of some houses and looting of livestock and properties worth millions of naira by suspected cattle rustlers.

“I sympathize with the people of Egwuma and its environs and call for calm as we work non-stop to bring a lasting solution to this age-long crisis. We have called for the immediate deployment of security officials to the area to restore peace, but we are working on a long-term solution that will come to fruition soonest.

“My administration would prioritize and ensure the rebuilding of communities and the safe return of every Agatu citizen back home. Agatu is our home, and no one would live as a displaced citizen in their ancestral home.”

However, the state police command has not issued any official statement regarding the events.

The post Two Killed, Houses Set Ablaze As Gunmen Attack Benue Communities appeared first on Naija News.

Back